The Dutch Army decided
in December 1934 to purchase modern armoured cars
for reconnaissance and security purposes (*). The first 12 armoured cars, the
Landsverk L181 or M36 Armoured Car, were
delivered in 1936.
Landsverk L181 or M36 Armoured Car,
used by the 1st Squadron.
L180 or M38 Armoured Car,
used by the 2nd Squadron.
M39 Armoured Car,
used by the Depot Squadron
Commander luitenant-general Jhr. W. RoŽll
preferred to incorporate the new armoured cars
into the Artillery Corps because of their former
experience with armoured cars. But on September
1935 it was decided that not the Artillery but
the Cavalry would be enlarged with the Armoured
Car Squadron. The squadron was formed on April
Armoured Car Squadron - 1e E. Paw.
The (1st) Armoured Car Squadron (and in 1938 the
2nd too) were incorporated in the
Light Brigade - later called
This was a highly mobile division of the Army with a defensive
and a complementary task.
The squadron was garrisoned in Den Bosch, in the Isabelle
barracks. These barracks were chosen because another part of the
Light Brigade - the Cyclists Regiment - was housed there already.
Armoured Car Squadron - 2e E. Paw
Soon after the 1st
squadron plans were made for the formation of a
second squadron. In 1937 the Defense budget
allowed for the purchase of a further 14 armoured
cars: the Landsverk L180 or M38 Armoured Car. On
June 1st 1938 the 2nd Squadron was formed.
This squadron was to be garrisoned on the
outskirts of Amersfoort in a new - not yet built
- barracks: de Bernhard barracks (Prince Bernhard
was present at the formation of the Squadron). In
the meantime they were housed in the Infantry
barracks. The new Bernhard barracks were
officially opened on May 22, 1939.
Members of the 2nd Squadron Armoured Cars just
after the formation ceremony.
Just like the 1st
squadron, the 2nd was not complete on their day
of formation. It only had 8 of the 12 armoured
cars, a few motorcycles (Harley Davidsons,
because the newly ordered BMW motorcycles were
not yet available), 2 munition cars and two
trucks. The training of recruits had not started
yet, but there was an experienced staff drawn
from the 1st squadron.
At the end of August 1939 when the general
mobilisation was proclaimed the squadron was no
yet at his full standard strengh.
2nd Squadron Armoured Cars
H. - R.H.
H. - R.H.
H. - R.H.
W.F. Clifford Kocq van Breugel
commander 2nd Squadron Armoured Cars,
1st Luitenant L. C.
experienced officer 1936-1938,
May - December 1938 with the 2nd Squadron
In November 1939 the 1st and 2nd platoon of 2e E.
Paw. were transferred to Barneveld and the 3rd
and 4th platoon were stationed in Apeldoorn. In
the second half of April 1940 they all took part
in a training in the Wonsstelling (Friesland). After that the 1st and
2nd platoon went to Schiphol to strenghten the
defence of this airfield. At the end of April
they were relieved by the 1st Squadron and went
to Apeldoorn. So at the beginning of May 1940 the
complete 2nd Squadron Armoured Cars (2 E. Paw.)
was stationed in Apeldoorn.
Squadron Armoured Cars
The Depot Cavalry were
mobilised in Amersfoort. In the beginning of
September it was dislocated and concentrated:
transferred to its warlocation The Hague, within
the Vesting Holland. The men were billeted in the
(New) Alexander barracks and in nearby schools.
The 12 armoured cars M39 were to form 4 platoons.
Every platoon was to be incorporated in a hussars
regiment. Plans existed to form a third armoured
car squadron and to train enlisted hussars for
these platoons. Mobilisation put a stop to these
After the mobilisation of August 1939 the Cavalry
Depot was ordered to form the platoons. Training
was given with the Armoured Car Squadron of the
5th Cavalry Depot (also called Depot Squadron
May 1940 eight armoured cars were in use, two of
them without canon. The other 4 were probably
sent back to Eindhoven for modification and
>> May 1940 (2)
The information on this page is a summary of the
book: 'Eskadron Pantserwagens 1936-1940', Drs. J.
A. Bom, 1986. Published in memory of the 50th
anniversary of the formation of the 1st Squadron
Armoured Cars, April 1st 1936 - April 1st 1986.